At Pield Heath we take mental health and wellbeing of our students, staff and parents very seriously as part of our vision to be a mentally healthy school.
We are committed to supporting the emotional health and wellbeing of all. We know that everyone experiences life challenges that can make us vulnerable and at times, anyone may need additional emotional support. We take the view that positive mental health is everybody’s business and that we all have a role to play.
At our school we:
- Help students to understand their emotions and feelings better
- Help students feel comfortable sharing any concerns or worries
- Help students socially to form and maintain relationships
- Promote self-esteem and ensure students know that they count
- Encourage students to be confident and ‘dare to be different’
- Help students to develop emotional resilience and to manage setbacks
We all have times when we have low Mental Wellbeing, where we feel stressed, upset or find it difficult to cope.
There are some common life events that may affect you or your child's Mental Wellbeing:
- Loss or bereavement.
- Relationship problems.
- Issues at school.
- Worries about money.
Everyone deserves to feel good and there are steps you or your child can take to maintain and improve your Mental Wellbeing:
- Build positive relationships.
- Take time for yourself.
- Look after your mental health.
- Look after your physical health.
What can your child can do in school to gain Mental Wellbeing?
- Be open and talk about your feelings with your friends.
- Associate yourself with positive people.
- Join an after school club.
- Speak to a member of staff.
- Tell the Safeguarding and Wellbeing Team.
- Get physically active (a Health body and mind are closely linked).
All staff have access to an Employee Assistance Programme — Health Assured.
We have a Wellbeing Team where we have representatives from various departments across the school where we share ideas and introduce and implement various initiatives to support wellbeing. At present, we have:
- Walking Club
- Reading Club
- Prayer & Reflection Circles
- Peace Garden
- Staff Drop In Sessions with Consultant Nurse
We also offer Wellbeing Sessions for families as part of our Parents Forum where we discuss the importance of self-care and healthy lifestyles.